Friday, July 15, 2011

330.8

This morning, my scale said I haven't lost any weight in the last week. While I'm disappointed by the number, I'd be less than honest with myself if I said I was surprised.

While I've been exercising and, with the exception of a milkshake have also avoided dining out, I have not been tracking my food intake. They say that weight loss is 20% exercise, 80% diet. I now have proof that this is correct. As a former Weight Watcher, I'm very familiar with the process of tracking food. Given the online tools available, it's certainly easy enough to start tracking. Indeed, this last week I did start tracking. However, I was very inconsistent. I tracked 2 things, both of them breakfast. Not gonna lose weight if I track 2 meals out of a whole week!

So, that's what I need to work on this week. "Write it if I bite it" is a great saying I picked up at a WW meeting. That program does work, as long as I work at keeping honest with my intake. This brings up a great point: honesty. For those of us who struggle with weight loss, there is no quicker route to defeat than by being dishonest with ourselves. You know what I'm talking about. For instance, when having a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream, how easy is it for us to look at a full bowl of the frozen, creamy, dairy deliciousness and convince ourselves that we could, if forced to, pack that bowl of ice cream into a 1/2 measuring cup? So instead of eating the 180 calorie dessert we KNOW we're eating, we're consuming about 2 or 3 servings in one bowl! It is so easy to get into these little mind games, which is why I fail to see the point in trying to lose weight if we aren't honest with ourselves first. The funny thing is, we can lie to ourselves, but the scale always tells the truth!

This week, my goal is to track everything. My goal is to also get in at least 3 walks over 2 miles, while putting in 30 minutes all other days. This is probably a little too much for me to do in one week, but I really want to lose another 10 pounds in the next 15 days (is that even possible?!). If I can't make that goal, at the very least I will be comfortably out of the 330s, never to return!

No comments: