Saturday, July 30, 2011

Vacations

Today's blog is coming to you from beautiful Wenatchee, Washington where we are attending a family reunion.  It's an annual event that I look forward to, to see old faces and meet new ones.  Of course, it's also a great chance to eat some home cooking and just relax for a few days.  In other words, it's a very weightloss-unfriendly vacation!

Vacationing while going through a weightloss can be a very stressful experience for some.  I've often seen people who follow diet programs stick with them throught their vacations.  I applaud their efforts and the accomplishments, but I often wonder if the stress that I see them endure makes the effort worth it.

I've decided a different approach to weight loss and vacationing.  In my mind, a vacation does not only mean relaxing the body but alos relaxing the mind.  In other words, I have no problem with taking a break from my weightloss journey while on a vacation.  I'm not tracking my food, nor am I exercising.  While this will obviously lead to a little weight gain, I've already excepted the consequences of my actions and, come Monday, I will get right back on track.  I'm already looking forward to reaching my next goal (losing 10 percent) and my goal this coming week is to really push myself and cross that threshold.  But that's something I'm going to worry about on Monday!  :)

Does this mean that I've totally abandoned my new lifestyle?  Nope.  At a family reunion there seems to be an abundance of cookies and sweets, which I've successfully avoided.  While driving, we had the foresight to pack a picnic lunch and stick to eating what we broght with us, and not snacks from the gas station.  But, there are some unhealthy meals in my immediate future.  My brother in law works at a burger hop called Dusty's In and Out, which serves some of the sloppiest burgers I've ever seen.  I'll be eating one of those for certain, although I may consider skipping the fries as one does not really feel like loading upon grease when it's 95 degrees outside!

So that's how I'm handling vacation.  Now if you'll excuse me, my vacation awaits!

No comments: