Monday, August 1, 2011

Back to the grind

Home from a vacation.  If there were a list of challenging times for us weight-loss trekkers, this would be near the top of that list!

We arrived home last night from beautiful Wenatchee, Washington after a 5 1/2 hour car drive.  It was a beautiful drive, even made more so that we chose to take a more scenic route through some of the prettier parts of our homeland.  Our two boys slept much of the way, but kept themselves occupied by coloring in their activity books (which my partner so lovingly and creatively put together for them!).  Knowing we just wanted to get the kids into bed when we got home, we hit a drive thru, picked up a couple of gay "meals", a burger and fries for the grown ups, and headed home.  It was the first drive thru burger and fries I've had in a while, and I loved them.  I loved them so much that I'm actually craving some of those golden-fried, crunchy and salty goodness even as I write this.

Which leads me to my point for today's blog post: getting back on track.  As I mentioned in my last journal entry I decided to let my guard down when it came to my weight loss regimen this last weekend, knowing full well that I would have to pick up the torch and continue the journey Monday morning.  Well, it's Monday morning and my taste buds are craving all that same food I satisfied myself with this last weekend, including (and most especially) those damned french fries from the drive thru.  Alas, I'm having unhealthy cravings.

I suppose everyone has a craving for unhealthy foods.  I used to think we weight-loss trekkers have them more than those damned skinny people, but I think that's a myth we like to tell ourselves to make our giving in to those cravings all that much easier.  Rather, instead of having stronger cravings, we simply come up with any excuse to give in, leaving our poor brains so warped up in mind games that we bury our guilt when we finally dive into that food which is ever so tasty, and ever so unhealthy.  My challenge this week is going to be to not even listen to those cravings.  Giving them an ear is what got me into trouble, and if I'm serious about losing weight, I must take control over those cravings.  After all, I refuse to let my health and my life be dictated to by a burger wrapped in a yellow paper.

My goal this week is to track all of my food and walk 3.5 miles on 5 out of 7 days.  I missed my weight loss goal of hitting 10 percent by the reunion, so I want to hit that within the next two weeks.  Once I do that, I'll have 19 pounds to lose in order to cross back over that 300 pound threshold, a goal worth giving up all the fries in the world for.

No comments: